RE: SharePlex

From: Indy Johal <Indy.Johal_at_prnewswire.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:14:24 -0800

Mladen

Actually your statement that "Neither logminer, SharePlex nor Streams can handle DDL" is not correct. With Oracle 9 logminer it is possible to capture DDL and so the Stream capture DDL as it uses logminer at the back. As Nelson is not in Oracle 9i, And so the option availbale with him are

--> Advance Replication - This option is good

                                       * If the Network connection between two production and Replicated databse is very good

                                       * If the Load is not high on the Production server  and what I meant by load is the Transaction Load. As it Financial system , so it all depend on the Modules

--> Physical Standby databse - This option is good

                                       * If there is not much load on the production server and so the Realtime loading can be done thru Data Guard. [ This is possible with 9i and I am not sure with 8i]

                                      But from Nelso Emailm the physical standby is not at all good option as he want to use the other server for Reporting purpose with all data should be very close to production server

So as Nelson is on 8i and as he also cannot go for Oracle 9i as that require him to go for Oracle Apps to 11.5.9 or so

Thanks

Indy Johal
Manager, Database Administration
PR Newswire
indy_johal@prnewswire.com
http://www.prnewswire.com

(201) 946-5687 [W]
(201) 400-3960 [M]

"We tell your story to the world."

"Mladen Gogala" <mladen@wangtrading.com>
Sent by: ml-errors@fatcity.com
08/08/2003 03:04 PM PST
Please respond to ORACLE-L

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>
cc:
bcc:
Subject: RE: SharePlex

Actually, logical standby database does have a hidden cost because you need Data Guard which is licensed
separately. The product that mimics SharePlex is called Oracle Streams and it is a redo log based replication
tool, sort of  Logminer on steroids. By the way, logminer was published because of the Quest who reengineered
the format of redo logs and based recovery mechanism on reading the changes from the logs and applying
them to "replicated" database. Neither logminer, SharePlex nor Streams can handle DDL. One has to propagate
schema changes using Quest Schema Manager or the same thing from Embarcadero or, for masochists, OEM Change
Management Pack.  I used every expletive in the book while I was testing OEM and I even invented a few of my own.
If you opt for any of those tools (and Data Streams is a pretty cool stuff, based on the demos, white papers from OTN,
marketing brochures and spam about the database enlargement), you will also need a schema manager tool.
Quest Schema Manager is a very good tool which I tested extensively.
I'f you decide to go cheap and use  trigger/stored procedures based replication ("advanced replication"), you'll
need a gun, preferrably 44-magnum. That is known as "go ahead, make my data" option. Do you feel lucky?

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA