RE: Limits on PL/SQL block?

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:29:36 -0800

I asked a question about the maximum trigger size on Metalink recently (the 9.2 documentation said that the maximum trigger size is 32K). Short answer - the easiest way to tell if a PL/SQL block is too big: try it and see if you get an error.

Here is the full answer from Oracle:

The limit of 32k for a trigger is platform dependent. The 32K limit is set taking into account the limit of 64K DIANA Nodes which includes the m-code and parsed-code. You may therefore end up having larger source code if the parsed-code ends up being lesser than the source code.

In the shared pool, a package spec, object type spec, stand-alone subprogram, or anonymous block is limited to 64K DIANA nodes. The nodes correspond to tokens such as identifiers, keywords, operators, and so on. The m-code is limited to 64K compiler-generated temporary variables.

Unfortunately, you cannot estimate the number of DIANA nodes from the parsed size. Two program units with the same parsed size might require 1500 and 2000 DIANA nodes, respectively (because, for example, the second unit contains more complex SQL statements). When a PL/SQL block, subprogram, package, or object type exceeds a size limit, you get an error such as program too large. Typically, this problem occurs with packages or anonymous blocks. With a package, the best solution is to divide it into smaller packages. With an anonymous block, the best solution is to redefine it as a group of subprograms, which can be stored in the database.

You can query the user_object_size table on the database to find out the size of the procedure/package/plsql block.

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com