Re: Corrupt Inactive RedoLog Goup.

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:29:24 -0800

Sorry, I skipped mentioning that, but we did try it, for the members. Got an ORA-01514: error in log specification. No such log. ORA-01517: log member: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'

When we used the group number, we got an:

 ORA-00261: log 3 of thread 1 is being archived or modified
 ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'  ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'G:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'

Regards
Raj

                    "Tanel Poder"
                    <tanel.poder.00       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    3_at_mail.ee>            cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Re: Corrupt Inactive RedoLog Goup.
                    ml-errors_at_fatci
                    ty.com

                    08/08/2003
                    01:04 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Hi!

I think the command was alter database clear unarchived logfile 'xxx';

IIRC,
Tanel.

> Members,
>
> Production 8.1.6.3 database on Windows NT 4.0.
>
> We noticed an entry in the alert log, citing that a log group could not
be
> archived since the 25th of July.. We have 3 log groups with 2 members
each.
> I notice that the 3rd redolog group has a status of Inactive with
> Archived=No. This group has a sequence# of 745, while the other two have
> advanced to 1073 and 1074 now. We have had too many log switches since
> then, and Oracle has chosen to ignore using this corrupt redo log group.
> The database gets bounced daily, and opens without a problem, since this
> group is not needed for instance recovery. I tried manual archiving.
>
> SQLWKS> alter system archive log group 3;
> ORA-16038: log 3 sequence# 745 cannot be archived
> ORA-00354: corrupt redo log block header
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'G:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> SQLWKS> alter system archive log logfile 'F:
> \ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> 2> ;
> ORA-16038: log 3 sequence# 745 cannot be archived
> ORA-00354: corrupt redo log block header
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'G:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> SQLWKS> alter system archive log logfile 'G:
> \ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> 2>
> 3> ;
> ORA-16038: log 3 sequence# 745 cannot be archived
> ORA-00354: corrupt redo log block header
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
> ORA-00312: online log 3 thread 1: 'G:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TCP1\LOG3TCP1.ORA'
>
> Similarly, it does not allow me to drop this member, saying it has not
been
> archived. Can I fake a recovery using cancel. and then open resetlogs? Or
> if I put the database in noarchivelog mode, will Oracle let me drop this
> corrupt redolog group?
>
> Thanks
> Raj

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com