Re: Multiple Datafiles and performance?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:59:22 -0800

> As for the datafiles and indexfiles being distributed over different
physical disks, well I can not confirm you are wrong, in our site id DID boost the performance, and specially if you locate in separate physical drives your redologs and datafiles (both indexes or data). Of course it depends on the server's work load and how many people are simultaneously accesing data and indexes. I can understand what you say but if many different users are accesing the same table via indexes and both the table's data and the indexes are on the same physical drive I think performance should be worst than if they were separated, right or wrong? ...

Wrong, because in multi-user environment, disk reading heads will never be physically be in same place where you "left" them. (Well, almost never, depending on your IO queue length).

Are you comparing oranges with oranges here - if you got one disk in your server and get performance boost by buying another disk in and putting some files (doesn't matter which files) on new disk, then you are comparing 1 disk vs. 2 disks, and that doesn't have anything to do with the type of segments in the files.

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee