RE: 100 instances on same server !!!

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:39:29 -0800

100 instances is way too much even (especially?) if Win2K is the OS in question.

Each instance means another service, and each service means spawning and maintaining
multithreaded process... On Windows half of available RAM is taken by default for kernel
processes and the other half is all that all other apps can hope to get. In your case with
4 GB of RAM on the system each of 100 instances will be getting 20 generous MB. Not
enough by any means, not even considering way too many threads that will befell (say
max 4?) CPUs.

Having said that, le'mee admit a sin: we run with success (meaning nobody complains
about performance) 28 concurrent development instances on powerful (at least it used
to be 4 years ago) 4x450 PIII Xeon CPUs with full 1GB of RAM and 21 x 18 GB HDD in
few RAID 5 containers (sorry for violating BAARF principles). Although we do run overly
large number of instances on a single Windows NT 4 box, in reality most of them are
used sparsely, and that's why getting away with it seems to work.

Now back to your case - I'd warmly advise to reconsider one box running 100 instances
assumption. Whatever you put there - will likely melt.

On the other hand if your all 100 of your workstations are same, or form few groups
of same hardware, investing in 512 MB of RAM for each of 100 workstations
(should

be much cheaper comparatively) and in 100 licenses (at approx $30 each) for Norton
Ghost Enterprise then:

Fiddling with Ghost is NOT a DBA job, but any sysadmin type should pull it with ease (and gratitude, if I may say so ;-).

Branimir

Author: AK
  INET: oramagic_at_hotmail.com <mailto:oramagic_at_hotmail.com>

<http://www.fatcity.com>