Re: 100 instances on same server !!!

From: AK <oramagic_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:34:23 -0800

Now , what is your server configuration ? windows , sun , hp ?? memory ??

-ak

  Thanks for the replies so far. Considering the fact that my database is tiny ( just around 3 GB ), How many of them can work on same server? I can just test with 5 instances, with limited hardware. Will the CPUs be able to take load of 100 instances? Is it worth experimenting this?

  I am on 8.1.7.4 and the application is already built. I stand no chance of changing the code. That is why using individual schemas for individual users is not an option. Right now I am just asked if 100 instances can run on same server and I don't have solid answer.

  Just on side note, can I ask, What is the maximum number of instances anyone has ever worked/heard being installed with in same server?

  Thanks again.

  Dilip.

    100 instances wohhhhh . If you are in 9i look at possibilities like context     or label security . or creating another schema .

    -ak

> I have not heard installing hundred database instances on same server.
> Maybe you should think creating one instance, and then hundred schemas in
> it.
>
> Guang
>
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Dilip Patel wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > Need some suggestions/Input.
> >
> > My application database is 8.1.7, NOARCHIVELOG, WIN200,
> > total size 4 GB, more of single user OLTP client-server application.
> >
> > Now the customer wants to give training on this application to hundred
    trainees
> > at a time. For this he wants to install hundred database instances on
    same
> > server machine, which *each* will be accessed simultaneously from 100
    different
> > client workstations.
> >
> > The reasons for installing all instances on same machine are
> > - to avoid re-installing databases on 100 workstations after each round
    of
> > training.
> > - No user should see any other user's data.
> >
> > Please suggest if this approach is feasible or is it at all possible.
    Tested this with upto 5 instances, and

    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net     --
    Author: AK
      INET: oramagic_at_hotmail.com

    To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message     to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in     the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L     (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may     also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: AK
  INET: oramagic_at_hotmail.com