RE: Multiple Datafiles and performance?

From: Dave Phillips <dphillips_at_gasper-corp.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:29:26 -0800

Thanks for the knowledge dump everyone!
Based on your responses, I'll make the recommendation that our client go with 3 2.5G datafiles. They currently are 1 2.5G and 2 1G datafiles for the tablespace in question.
Most of our clients have less than 30 datafiles, and I doubt will find any over 50.
(slightly less than 1150 ...whew!) Index files are separated from data. The datafiles in question were data, and not index files, but they are on RAID5.

We got them add 2 more RAID1's, so they are up to 4 RAID1's and 1 RAID5.

We have the Indexes on a RAID1, the OS/Oracle on a RAID1, the remaining were on the RAID5, including RBS and REDO. We are moving the Redo Groups to the other RAID1's (one group on each). We could move the RBS to the OS/Oracle drive should contention is still an issue.

I've been walking around with "ORACLE 101 - Performance Tuning" duct taped to the back of my head for about 4 weeks now trying to absorb as much as I can. It's got me looking at every change we make and it performance consequences. The number/size of datafiles was one thing I couldn't track down much info about in relation to performance. We've changed the app to increase use of bind variables, so we're making progress. (It helps that we have an Oracle DBA on each development team). We're making a lot of progress, an the info from this list and the recommended reading has played a big part in helping me get, not just changes made, but the right changes made. Now, if I could just learn to make more focused and cohesive sentences and yeh,uh what I just said.

Once again, thanks for the help

David Phillips
Support DBA

Author: Tim Gorman