Re: Consolidating Servers

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:09:30 -0800

Jeff,

Don't mix missions. Consolidating to the same server is one thing. Consolidating to the same version of software is another thing entirely.

Your boss's goal is to reduce the number of CPUs, not the number of databases or ORACLE_HOMEs. Get his/her primary mission done first (i.e. Reduce number of CPUs to license), then consider consolidating databases or versions. So, I'd recommend copying entire directory structures to the remaining servers, each under different OS accounts/groups.

My $0.02...

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com