Consolidating Servers

From: Eberhard, Jeff <Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:29:24 -0800

Just got out of a meeting with my manager. He had just finished meeting with our Oracle rep and has finally figured out that we don't have enough licenses (I've always asked him what we have and he's never shared it with me,
always just "I've gotten it taken care of"). We have 80 and with our current/potential configuration we are going to need 300. Anyways, to save money he decides that we need to take our databases and consolidate them to two or three servers (from 7). Most of the database are fairly
small (100-300Meg) so shouldn't be too bad. Actually it should be pretty fun
(if I didn't already have 5 full-time jobs to do).
Anyone had to do the same thing? What are some concerns? Should I shoot for
the moon and upgrade them all to 9i at the same time or have several versions
(7.3, 8.0, 8.1.7) on the same server? Any comments would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Author: Eberhard, Jeff
  INET: Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com