Re: what is BAARF? --- OFA

From: Piet de Visser <piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 03:39:22 -0800

Tim, James, Mogens, Group,

Another BAARF advocate here...

However, I recognize Tim's problem when HW vendors: a) push raid5 or some form of autoraid.
b) push for 8 separate disks of 125G each with only redo-files on them...

While the BAARF initiative should continue in its simple, elegant and forcefull form (hammer the msg home), I want to place a call to Gary, Tim and others, to undertake A Revamp of the original OFA paper.

Determine the new requirements (most of the old ones still stand!) and from the requirements, enhance the OFA-structure. It should take into account:

Any Takers ?
Any ideas for a joint-effort ?

Regards,

PdV

Oracle DBA.

DTMWFI, FWIW, JMTC and YMWV (of course it will)

PS: Frustration cost me my lunch break.
Me too, Got bitten badly by a hardware vendor recently for _not_ putting aside 35% of my multi-TB disk-capacity exclusively for redos. Salesman dreams to sell an additional nr of disks at 5% utilization because of the trueism:
"redo files should be on private, physical, devices". He even knew of OFA, the Oracle-FILE-Architecture :-). Any advertising, as long as they spell the name right....

Author: Piet de Visser
  INET: piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com