RE: what is BAARF?

From: Bob Lofstrand <blofstrand_at_csedge.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:49:23 -0800

It is good to see Oracle and Informix DBAs agree on something once in a while.
Art Kagel and many others from the Informix list have been fighting the good fight for a long time.
http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.58

I sent this baarf link to a former co-worker still in the Informix world. I got this response:

Bob,

That is impeccable timing. I was in Dallas last week with Victor and James looking at SAN systems from Hitachi and IBM. Both vendors were heavily pushing RAID-5 and treated me like a leper when I objected.

Troy.

My question is what to do from a practical point of view. How have others approached convincing management that RAID 5 is the devil. I guess what I want is a list of the most effective questions and facts that will make these vendors look like idiots when they refuse to give up on RAID 5.

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Author: Bob Lofstrand
  INET: blofstrand_at_csedge.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 17:49:23 CDT