Re: 9i-OCP Question

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:04:34 -0800

Unless ordering superannuated storage from eBay, disks are sized at either 36Gb, 73Gb, or larger. Dedicating these devices to online redo log files of size 100Mb, 500Mb, or 1Gb might be tough to get past the CFO.

The CIO/CTO might well also ask why some form of RAID-1 or RAID-5 redundancy is not recommended for use here. What would that reality do for the answer to this question? Especially if RAID-5 is in use (yes, BAARF)! Steve's answer of 42 would be closer to the mark than any answer yet provided, besides being celestially correct...

Also, we're talking about a single process named LGWR and another 1-2 processes named ARCn. Isn't it possible that these storage devices can handle occasional concurrency of 2-3 without degrading performance? Yup, the answer is "it depends", not "A", or "B", or "C"....

Whatever "Oracle's recommendation" is for this question, it is certainly a tad on the simplistic side and useless in real life. The discussion is certainly worthwhile, but as a multiple-choice question with only one answer it is worthless. The OCP exam does not deal in reasoning and discussion...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com