RE: Risks Involved In Using Profiles

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 07:49:23 -0800

Madhu

   I think the risk is primarily your time and the irritation of your users. Take the CPU_PER_SESSION setting as an example. I don't think it is possible to set a guideline that would work for all sites. You've got to look at the variation in the legitimate session CPU usage in order to determine what the exception would be. For example, let's say you study the CPU usage for a week and find that no session consumed more that 3 seconds of CPU. So you set the limit at 5 seconds. Then at month end a large group of irritated users surround your cube and you note they've brought their own rope. So you discover that many month-end reports consume much more than the CPU limit you set.

   I think these settings can be very useful if your site has a real problem with runaway queries and management asks you to do something to contain those. But to just arbitrarily start setting these limits could cause a lot of unhappiness, especially for you. And, in the case where you have a real problem, you will decide on a setting appropriate to your site and then revise it as needed.

   Always a good practice to check Metalink for any bugs with your version of Oracle before using a feature you haven't used before.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Reddy, Madhusudana
  INET: Madhusudana.Reddy_at_bestbuy.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 10:49:23 CDT