impersonating another user???

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:24:23 -0800

Hi DBAs,

Oracle 8.1.7.4

I want to be able to have users log into the database with an OS integrated account and set up only certain users that log in to act on the behalf of another integrated user account. (i.e. A manager is given access to a database where he may delegate his authority to an administrative assistant who logs into the database and when the assistant connects, the database automatically impersonates the assistants account to appear as the managers account. Giving them the same database permission's as the manager. Also I would want to be able to look at the "USER" keyword to determine who is really logged in, and who they are impersonating if anyone. I hope this makes sense.

I have read some on n-tier authentication using the following but really do not understand how it works.

ALTER USER app_user1 GRANT CONNECT THROUGH sh WITH ROLE warehouse_user;

Has anyone done this? If so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

  INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 01 2003 - 11:24:23 CDT