RE: Oracle to MSSQL conversion?

From: Clarkson, Timothy T SEOP-OEIRH/1 <Timothy.Clarkson_at_shell.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 07:59:24 -0800

I would have to disagree there. We run multiple SQL Server instances (which consists of the memory structure, physical files and logical structure) on one server. The reason for this is multiple sort code, which is like the same as the character set in Oracle. Personally I think the developers had no good business case for a different sort-order and normally we run one instance per server with multiple databases.

Some of our applications are using Case-Sensitive Dictionary sorting while others are using case-insensitive binary. There is another whole topic about sort-orders as they can be set at Instance Level (which is the same as an Oracle instance), database level or table level.

The databases on SQL server are not the same as the schema in Oracle, since the schema in Oracle is based on a user. In SQL I can have a database an multiple users within the database, all the objects in Database A are belonging to User A, User B needs to be granted rights to objects in Database A - therefore not exactly the same as a schema in Oracle. In Oracle all the objects in a schema belong to a single user and they have access to them.

I have been reading the forums for a while so if any of my comments are slightly wrong please do not flame me, I am busy typing this at work :-) If they are way wrong then please let me know that's why I read this forum - to learn.

Cheers
Timothy Clarkson
SQL DBA/OCA -----Original Message-----
Author: Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI