upgrade 805 to 8174, type#10 objects

From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:29:35 -0800

List:
I'm testing an upgrade of a database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7.4 (Solaris 2.6).

I have 3 objects in the 8.0.5 database that are type# 10 in obj$. The objects do not show up at all in dba_objects. The objects apparently came from someone applying statspack to an 8.0.5 database.

8.0.5 doesn't care about these objects. (As far as I can tell, the objects have been in the database as type# 10 for over a year with no complaints.) 8.1.7 cares a lot. The upgrade to 8.1.7.0 causes crashes due to these objects (bug 2143767) I can work around this by adding event 10052 to init then patching up to 8.1.7.4 When I get to 8.1.7.4, there are messages in my alert log about these objects. Doesn't seem to cause harm, but it's annoying.

Oracle (via tar) suggested forcing smon to clean up the objects (oradebug wakeup). This did not work.

There are no dependencies against these objects that I can find.
(Note that the "real" views have different object
numbers.)

My question: Can you think of any reason not to delete the objects from obj$ before I start the upgrade? (I know deleting from obj$ is not a good idea. But I don't have any other ideas.)

Anything you think I might have overlooked that would cause smon to NOT clean up these objects?

I really want a clean install on this one. Thanks a bunch!
Barb

PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.2.0 - Production

SQL> select owner, object_type, object_id, object_name,
  2 status
  3 from dba_objects
  4 where object_name like
'V%$BUFFER_POOL_STATISTICS'

  5     or object_name like 'V%$TEMPFILE'
  6     or object_name like 'V%$TEMPSTAT'
  7 /
         OBJECT        OBJECT
OWNER    TYPE              ID OBJECT_NAME
  STATUS
-------- ---------- ---------
-------------------------- -------
SYS      VIEW          288476 V_$TEMPFILE
  VALID
SYS      VIEW          288474 V_$TEMPSTAT
  VALID SQL> select owner, object_name, object_type,object_id   2 from dba_objects
  3 where object_id=288485
  4 or object_id=288484
  5 or object_id=13885;

no rows selected

SQL> select obj#, owner#,name, type#, status   2 from obj$
  3 where obj#=288484
  4 or obj#=288485
  5 or obj#=13885;

      OBJ#  OWNER# NAME                      TYPE#
STATUS
---------- ------- ------------------------ ------
-------
     13885       0 V$BUFFER_POOL_STATISTICS     10
  1
    288485       0 V$TEMPSTAT                   10
  1
    288484       0 V$TEMPFILE                   10
  1

SQL> select * from dependency$ where d_obj#=13885 or d_obj#=288484
  2 or d_obj#=288485;

no rows selected

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com