RE: Oracle to MSSQL conversion?

From: Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI <Stephen.Wolfe_at_macdill.af.mil>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:54:39 -0800

Being more of a SQL 2000 DBA (I am experienced from SQL Server 6.5).

At my installation I have 5 SQL-2000 database machines and recently acquired three Oracle 9i machines.

The limit is essentially a function of your storage area and the amount of real memory available to the processor or processor array.

I'm trying to draw similarities between the RDBM concepts now as I learn Oracle's idea of a database.

Maybe now is a good time for me to ask these question since it is related to this thread's subject, can you say that an Oracle instance is essentially the same as a MSSQL database? I ask this because a MSSQL server can support multiple databases which can be configured different ways.

v/r

Stephen S. Wolfe, GS-11, DAFC
Data Services Manager
stephen.wolfe_at_macdill.af.mil