Re: 9i-OCP Question

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:14:23 -0800

Hi!

> First, I found myself nodding at Roy's first post. On some databases,
> I have three log groups, with two members each. Each set of members
> has its own disk. I'll concede the argument that the instance goes
> down right away if one of the drives fails, but I _still_ have a full
> set of logs on the other drive, and that's a good thing, right?

The instance will keep working as long as it can successfully write to at least one member of current log group.

> Third, while I agree that every member of every group should ideally
> have its own disk, does ANYONE actually configure their DB this way? I
> had a hard enough time dedicating one or two disks to redo logs; who
> can dedicate eight, especially given drive sizes of 72+ GB and (single)
> log file sizes of, what, 100 MB?

Mirrored solid state disks are the answer, especially in SAN environments where you can use these disks for several databases' logs. (Check James Morle's articles @ www.oaktable.net)

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder