Re: optimizer parameters in Oracle 9.2

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:24:48 -0800

Collecting system statistics in 9i is supposed to automagically do what optimizer_index_cost_adj does, at least if you set it according to the formula in Tim's paper ("The Search for Intelligent Life in the Cost-Based Optimizer"). The CBO then uses different cost factors for single-block IO (predominantly index accesses) and multiblock IO (table and index scans).

At 06:04 AM 7/30/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>I have been reading on the optimizer_ parameters for
>Oracle 9i - optimizer_max_permutation,
>optimizer_index_caching and optimizer_index_cost_adj.
>I have also been playing whith them and I can see that
>they affect the explain plans for some queries quite
>dramatically. Is there any guidelines for what they
>should be set to for optimum performance (some kind of
>range and may be relationship between the values) or
>is this mostly a trial and error kind of thing? I have
>seen a few discussion on the Oracle Metalink, but
>mostly they are very specific - try this value or try
>that value. Does anyone have a link to a document with
>something more systematic than that?

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation