Re: Set Role in Trigger

From: <JApplewhite_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:59:24 -0800

Arup,

Thanks for your reply. As I said in my memo, I really want the User's Role to be changed from within a Trigger on a table, not a System Trigger.  Actually, it doesn't matter, since no database trigger can be defined with Invoker's Rights. That means that any trigger in which I issue execute DBMS_Session.Set_Role would fail, since Roles are disabled in any PL/SQL module executed with Definer's Rights - which is all triggers. Yes, this App. updates the User table when the User chooses to change to a different set of Schoolyear tables, but it creates no system insecurity. Why would it?

Using an Applicatioin Context Variable won't work, since the App. Ctx. Var. User_Role is not really a Role to which I could grant object privileges. My situation is your Scenario #1. I understand Application Context and am using it in the current FGAC implementation I've created for this app. However, I can't see how I can substitute an App. Ctx. Var. for a "real" Role. Actually, you should review the docs on Application Context. No User can set his Application Context Variables by calling DBMS_Session.Set_Context, since each Application Context is "registered" to its specific package, which should be inaccessible to the User.

Roy suggested views, which might be an option for a well-designed, low user-count app, but this app. (remember, 3rd Party, we didn't design it!) has over 50,000 tables. Also, we have several thousand teachers and administrators who access the system. Multiply the two and you can see that millions of views are not feasible.

I've really got to find a way to change a User's "real" Role from within a Trigger. It can't be the After_Logon Trigger, since the User's Role must be changeable up to many times during a single Session. Also, remember that I can't make a single modification to the Application's code.

Unless someone comes up with something else, I'll experiment with having the table Trigger owned by System and executing "Alter User... Default Role..." as a Dynamic SQL statement to see if that works to change the User's Role.

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)
JApplewhite_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu

"Arup Nanda" <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
07/27/2003 01:24 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Set Role in Trigger

Jack,

Question - why do you want to use System triggers to change roles? I don't see how you can define an event for this trigger to be fired. If the event is the updating of record in USERS table, who updates it? Obviously not the user himeself; then the whole system becomes insecure to the core.

Your choice of using a role to allow access to a specific yesr is sound design. I assume each year is stored in separate tables. If that is not correct, i.e. the record for all years are stored in a single table, then roles will not help you, you need to enable FGAC using something called application context.

Scenario 1: Each year's data is stored in a seprate table.

You would create roles, but not normal roles. The roles should be identified by a procedure. This procedure is owned by SYS or some other secued schema. Inside this procedure you would assign a value to the application context attribute called user_role, which is set via dbms_Session.set_context. All the users are revoked execute priv on dbms_session; so they will never be able to call this procedure directly. The only way they can do it is by calling the trusted procedure you have defined for that role.

Scenario 2: All the tables have data for all the years.

Inthis case you will have to use FGAC; but the FGAC policy will have to depend on the application context you defined earlier. You wil define another context attribute called school_year, whic is again set by the trusted procedure of the role. Since the user does not have the privilege to call dbms_Session, he will not be able to set the value of this attrbute to any other year at will.

You will define several roles ideintified by procedure. All these roles are granted to the user but none is a default role.

When a user logs in, all roles assigned to him are disabled, since none is a default role. Then he calls the procedure set_role(), no arguments. Inside the procedure set_role(), you will read the users table, see the role the user is supposed to have, enable this role via dbms_Session.set_role and then set the application context, if any.

Since the user does not have execute privs on dbms_session, he will not be able to set the app context.

Since the role is identified by a procedure, i.e. set_role(), the user will not be able to set the role himself using "SET ROLE" command in sql*plus. The only way he can do that is by calling the set_role procedure.

If the user does not call the procedure, none of the roles are enabled; therefore he will not be able to do anything.

In other words, you have a secured system.

As an added bonus: you will have the application context attribute you can use any way you want to use. Right now you can use it for FGAC; but later when you are in 9i, you can use it in other cooler features such as Fine Grained Auditing.

HTH.   Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com