RE: backwards export

From: Ron Thomas <rthomas_at_hypercom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:26:00 -0600

>> and 7.3.4 clients won't talk to a
>> 9.2 database,

> False

This is sort-a false. If the 9.2 database is in a new characterset such as UTF8, the old sqlnet clients will have difficulties if the client machine is also not in UTF8.

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas_at_hypercom.com
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      MATT.ADAMS_at_APPL.G
                      E.COM                    To:       ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity        Subject:  RE: backwards export
                      .com

                      07/24/2003 10:14
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

> I'm not sure of the export compatibility, but you should know that 9i
> clients won't talk to a 7.3.4 database,

  True

> and 7.3.4 clients won't talk to a
> 9.2 database,

 False

  A Oracle7 client can, will, and does talk to a 9.2.0 database with no problem.

> which could be a problem. At least, they're not certified
> to talk to each other, which isn't quite the same thing.

  See note 172179.1 on Metalink. To quote:

"In short, any version of SQL*Net's version 2 Client (2.3.x) and up to Net 9.0.x, will be able to connect to any version of Oracle Database version 7.3.x and up to 9.2.x, with certain compatibility issues that are explained below"

Matt Adams

Matt Adams - GE Appliances - matt.adams_at_appl.ge.com It will make sense when you stop thinking logically, and start thinking Oracle-ly - Jim Droppa