Recommendation for "cheap" HA solution

From: Daiminger, Helmut <Helmut.Daiminger_at_KirchGruppe.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:51:43 +0200

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C351EA.B7503530

Hi!

We are looking into establishing some sort of high availability solution here. We are running 9.2.0 on Sun Fire 280 (2 processors). Since we are on a tight budget, we are looking into various solutions for HA.

One option would be to use Sun Cluster Server or Veritas Cluster Server. If one box fails, the db just fails over to the other node. The problem is that we don't have a cluster guy here...

The other Option would be to use RAC, but this is the most expensive solution, I guess...

Does anybody use any other HA solution that is affordable? Failover time should be less than 15 minutes, although "frequent" outages (i.e. once a month or so) are tolerable.

Don't blame me for these requirements; it was not my idea...

This is 9.2.0 on Sun Solaris.

Thanks,
Helmut

------_=_NextPart_001_01C351EA.B7503530

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.89">
<TITLE>Recommendation for &quot;cheap&quot; HA solution</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We are looking into establishing some sort of high availa=
bility solution here. We are running 9.2.0 on Sun Fire 280 (2 processors).<= /FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Since we are on a tight budget, we are looking into vario=
us solutions for HA.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>One option would be to use Sun Cluster Server or Veritas =
Cluster Server. If one box fails, the db just fails over to the other node.=  The problem is that we don't have a cluster guy here...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The other Option would be to use RAC, but this is the mos=
t expensive solution, I guess...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Does anybody use any other HA solution that is affordable=
? Failover time should be less than 15 minutes, although &quot;frequent&quo= t; outages (i.e. once a month or so) are tolerable.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Don't blame me for these requirements; it was not my idea=
...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This is 9.2.0 on Sun Solaris.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Helmut</FONT>