RE: Veritas like RMAN?

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:09:02 -0700 (PDT)

If the database is actually shutdown when they do the backup, then you are okay. If not, I'd start updating my resume.

are they in archivelog mode? Can you implement hot backups, even without RMAN (you know the drill, alter tablespace begin backup, backup datafiles, alter tablespace end backup, lather, rinse, repeat etc)

It's possible to recover from an export and the datafiles, even if the database won't open. It's expensive, Oracle doesn't like doing it (Data Unloader) and the strain on your nervous system is not worth it (I've done it).

Make sure they understand that that export is worthless if they want up to the minute recovery. And that those backups are less than worthless because while the export will at least get them back to SOME point in time, the Veritas backups won't do even that.