RE: dba age

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:30:02 -0500

AK - Don't fear, you may feel young now, but working as a DBA ages you really fast. The other day the discussion drifted into chopping fingers for making mistakes. Before safety couplings were adopted, the experience of railroad brakemen was judged by the number of fingers missing. Maybe we should all raise hands.

Few people take on the DBA role straight out of college. A production DBA at a large site is a critical role. I feel that communication is a vital part of the job, and the more roles you've had prior to becoming a DBA, the better. If you've worked as a developer for a few years, you'll be able to better understand developers and better communicate with them. They'll still think you're scum, but at least you'll understand why they feel that way. If you have worked as a user you'll understand how/if users think. A few people have even moved from the DBA role to other jobs. I don't understand it, something about being the focus of everyone's frustration, intolerable hours, inescapable pressure.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com