RE: RMAN used?

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:28:15 -0400

If the tables in the RMAN instance have not been populated they that instance did not perform any backup functions. It is not to say that a different instance on a distant server did not perform any RMAN backup function.
Read the activity log posted at each server for activities on the machine.
Also check the alert log to see if there are any periodical shutdown/startups that were performed. The OS backups might be performed during that time frame and you have a cold backup done. Check with the sysdamin obout the OS backup script and procedures. Other wise I would start the RMAN backup ASAP and CYA. Ron

>>> NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us 07/22/03 01:59PM >>>
Mike,

One other external source to look into is the udump directory. See if an
sbtio.log file exists. Sometimes, Rman will write logs into this file.  If
the file doesn't exist, then it is another hint that rman has not been used.

I would say that if you can't find any Rman save sets anyplace, then it has
not been run. That would be the final clue for me, anyway. The rest doesn't matter.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional