RE: Oracle configuration on SAN

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:32:19 -0400

Yeah, write-back cache is better than write-through for performance. Mirrored cache is nice too, except that some implementations (and I have zero idea whether this applies to HP or IBM) used to do silly things like dispatch mirrored writes in serial rather than in parallel, and don't load-balance reads on mirrored objects.

On the FastT900, are you sure the battery backup actually destages to disk upon power failure? If I remember correctly, the FastT line deals with power failure the same way most mid-range storage arrays do - the system loses power and a battery supplies power to the cache to keep it persistent. When the array is brought back online, before servicing any new I/O, the cache is destaged to the disk. The only problem with that is extended power failures or hardware problems can create data loss (though generally you can move the cache from the failed box to the new box without losing data).

The other possible way they do it is the same way the Clariion does it, which is the first drive shelf has a glorified UPS attached to it, and when power goes, the cache is destaged to a "vault" drive, which is then spun down.

Bigger arrays, like the HDS 9900 series, the Symmetrix, and the Shark all have big honking batteries in them (and I mean big - over a hundred pounds as I recall). When power is lost, they gracefully destage all cache to disk, carefully park the drive heads, spin the drives down, and then shut down. Much nicer than power suddenly being cut to drives spinning at 10 or 15 thousand rpms.

Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems