Re: Empty String is interpreted as NULL

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:46:14 -0600

--------------380082512FB8359D19AA507C

How about inserting 'NULL'? No, I am not kidding... The following is taken from an actual system...

columnA has a NOT NULL constraint
columnA has a CHECK constraint with a list of acceptable values, one of them is 'NULL'

BTW, I don't recommend either approach. NULL has a special meaning to Oracle (3-valued logic) and you should pay close attention to how you use it.

"Mercadante, Thomas F" wrote:

> Reuben,
>
> While I agree that an empty string is not logically equal to a null, Oracle
> interprets an empty string in INSERT and UPDATE statements as a NULL. So
> you really do not have a choice here. If you have the need to insert an
> empty string into a column, you have two choices:
>
> - Define a character to represent an empty string and insert that character
> (pretty dumb suggestion)
>
> - Change the table to allow null values in that column, and perform the
> INSERT as your example showed.
>
> Good Luck and hope these helped.
>
> Tom Mercadante
> Oracle Certified Professional

 filename="daniel.fink.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Fink;Daniel
tel;cell:303.808.3282
tel;work:303.272.3225
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:daniel.fink_at_sun.com
title:DB Services Lead Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 14:46:14 CDT