RE: Why are SPFILEs binary anyway? (was RE: How to make SPFILE

From: Hemant K Chitale <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:09:42 +0800

My guess is that a "binary" SPFILE is expected to look the same whether it is a Raw Device [non-CFS RAC] or on a File System [CFS RAC or Single Instance database].
You should be able to do a dd of the SPFILE to move it between Raw and FileSystems.
Thus you can take the SPFILE of a non-CFS RAC and plug it directly into use for CFS RAC or Single Database Instance.

At 06:44 AM 17-07-03 -0800, you wrote:

>I wonder if it is something built into the file or something that vi (or
>whatever editor you are using) does to the file when you save it. I say
>that because, if you edit the text part of an export file with vi, you get
>an unusable file. But the text part of an export file can be edited by
>other means and it will work -- for example, by running it through a C or
>Perl program and editing the stream as it flows through the program; and I
>think, if the export file is not too big (< 2 gig I think ) emacs (with
>certain options??) can be used.
>The official word in the 9i new features class at the ivory tower in
>Colorado Springs is that all the new features are wonderful, and you should
>be using them.

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional My personal web site is : Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 09:09:42 CDT

Original text of this message