Re: How to make SPFILE in sync with INIT.ORA ?

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:10:04 -0400

Well, I thought I answered your question earlier. Here are the steps, in more detail.

I assume your database instance name is ORCL; replace with the actual.

(1) With your database open, issue a command as sys SQL> create pfile from spfile.
(2) Go to the directory $ORACLE_HOME/dbs and make sue the timestamp of teh file initORCL.ora file is now.

(3) Open the file and place the line audit_trail=db, if not already there.
(4) Shutdown the database.
(5) Restart

SQL> startup pfile=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initORCL.ora (6) Make sure the audit trail is set.
SQL> show parameter audit_trail.
(7) resynch the SPfile.
SQL> create spfile from pfile;
(8) And, please let us know here if they worked. If any error occurs, copy and paste the error here.

HTH. Arup Nanda

> Hi,
>
> I really need some helps to configure my database with audit_trail option.
> have tried some but fail so far. My database is Oracle 9.2. I have read
all
> email related to spfile. Can somebody provides simple steps for me to
update my
> specified initialization parameter in init.ora?
> (1) Manually change the initialization parameter, e.g. audit_trail = db in
> init.ora. How to sync it when re-start Oracle database?
> (2) Can I change the audit_trail = db initialization parameters in
init.ora
> on-line?
>
> Any comments are appreciated!
> Many thanks!
>
> Don
>

> Arup Nanda wrote:
>
> > The ability to change the system parameters without bouncing the system
is
> > not provided by spfile, neither in RAC nor single instance databas. It
> > depends upon the the parameter that can be changed dynamically or not.
> >
> > I guess you wanted to convey the impression that the using spfiles the
> > parameters can be changed and the changes can be persistent across
> > shutdowns. But that is not just in RAC; it's true for single instance
DBs,
> > too.
> >
> > Now, suppose you want to set a parameter that can't be changed using
ALTER
> > SYSTEM, such as, say, java_pool_size. How do you plan to make the
change?
> > You have to open up the old favorite init.ora file and start the
database
> > with pfile=init.ora option. At that stage the spfile is not active and
your
> > issuing Alter system set db_cache_size = 800m scope = [ memory | spfile
|
> > both ] sid = * has no effect. You must create the spfile from the pfile
and
> > then use the newly created spfile to use this "dynamic" parameter
> > persistent. Note the complexity involved - spfile allowed you to make
the
> > changes to some parmeters using alter system persistent; but for all
other
> > parametrs you are forced to use pfile. What happens if you ommit the
> > pfile=init.ora clause? The database will pickup the spfile, which will
_not_
> > have your changes.
> >
> > To fully appreciate the value of the spfile parameter, Oracle should
have
> > allowed editing spfile directly and completely done away with pfile.
> > Splitting functionality across two different implementations adds to
> > difficulties, does not resolve them. I hope future versions of Oracle do
> > offer that functionality. It's not that difficult or unheard of, either.
> > Listener.ora, tnsnames.ora are all editable and also read by Net
Assistant.

> > just my .02
> >
> > Arup Nanda

Now