Re: Another OCP slant...

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:11:58 -0400

Thursday, July 17, 2003, 6:34:26 AM, you wrote:

DE> Beyond the ethical implications and all the other issues.
DE> Has anyone on this list used the tips/suggestions to study for their OCP
DE> exams? Are they any good as an aid?

I've never used any of the braindum.com type web sites, nor have I bothered with any of the exam-focused books. Mostly I read manuals and experiment with new features. It helps that I'm often writing about those new features, because writing forces me to learn.

The one exception is that at the OracleWorld after 9i was released, Oracle themselves offered an exam-cram class for the Oracle9i upgrade exam. I sat through one or two sessions of that class--I couldn't be there for all of them--and then took the exam. It was a close call. Probably I would not have passed without having attended Oracle's cram-session.

Back in the Oracle7 days I put off and put off taking the exams because I never felt ready. (Do you ever really feel ready?) Finally, one day, I kicked myself in the rear and signed up for all four exams in one go. I passed three and flunked one, but while failing that one exam I also picked up a good idea of what it was that I needed to go learn in order to pass it the next time. That's been my basic approach ever since: try an exam, hope I pass, and if I fail at least I know what I need to go and learn.

If there is a 10x upgrade exam at OracleWorld this year, you can bet that, unprepared as I am, I'll sit for it and give it a go. Perhaps I can be one of the first to fail!

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article, or send email to Oracle-article-request_at_gennick.com and include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body. Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 10:11:58 CDT