re: how to keep SPFILE in Sync...

From: Piet de Visser <piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:58:01 +0200

Group,

I try to only use spfile if I HAVE TO, avoid it if possible. conservatism ? maybe.
I agree with all arguments against spfile posted so far.

RAC : use a CFS and keep a single, central db.ini somewhere, link your ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initINST.ora to it.

If you have to use spfiles (RAC on RAW-dev, yuk), monitor gv$parameters for any modified parameters, and report those regularly as part of your daily monitoring. Also, re-create a pfile-from-sp as you would also spool a controlfile-2-trace, and include all of this in your backup. (am I making a dinosaur-fool out of myself ? comments welcome)

Wishlist: Fully Editable spfile, but only if it does not add another utility to the toolbox.
Any preview on how this will be done in 10i yet ? Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 05:58:01 CDT