RE: Interview Questions for a Unix Solaris System Admin

From: Sarnowski, Chris <csarnows_at_CuraGen.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:56:53 -0400

<snip>
> > 13) Why is NIS bad?
>
> Answer: It isn't. Depending on how your department operates,
> it might be
> very useful. If somebody wants to ypcat my encrypted
> password, go for it.
> You won't be able to crack it. I don't care what you do with
> Joe Stupid's
> password; that's Joe's problem.

<snip>

But the sysadmin has to care what you do with Joe Stupid's password, if it will allow access to a machine through Joe Stupid's account that you wouldn't otherwise have.

On the whole, I agree with the gist of your response. A list of questions like that can be very useful as starting points for an experienced sysadmin to interview for another sysadmin - but they can be anywhere from useless to dangerous in the hands of someone who only knows what is on the piece of paper in front of them.

I wonder if there are any consulting groups that will handle tech interviews - seems like a market niche. Go in and review the environment, come up with questions, then "double-team" with an HR person/supervisor/etc so the tech person can ask and judge the tech questions and the non-tech person can get a sense of personality/quick thinking/ all those other important but hard to measure things.

My favorite ever line from an interview for a Java developer (we hired him).
me: "Hi, I'm Chris, the DBA here."
interviewee: "You're the DBA? Everybody must hate you."

LEGAL NOTICE:
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately. Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 12:56:53 CDT