RE: H1-B (was: * Sr. Oracle DBA with 8i and 9i experience needed. .)

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:25:13 -0300

Sounds rigid as a system.

Thanks for the answer Glenn.

Patrice.

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Stauffer [mailto:stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu] Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:39 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Re: H1-B (was: * Sr. Oracle DBA with 8i and 9i experience needed..)

Boivin, Patrice J wrote:

>Why would the H1-B cost the employer money?
>
>Usually if you want to travel and get a visa you can pay a small fee at the
>local embassy or consultate and that's it. Work visas may be different, I
>don't know
>
>Do U.S. employers pay H1-B visa employees' health benefits?
>
>Just curious, I have never worked in the U.S..
>
>I am enjoying the 32 degree Celcius (96 degree Farenheit) weather here in
>Canada (was 32 degrees a couple of weeks ago anyway).
>
>: )
>
>I do see news items sometimes talking about H1-B VISA staff vs. American
>staff competing for jobs. Usually when there is a recession. During boom
>times employers lobby the Feds to increase the H1-B VISA quotas.
>
>Patrice.

This is my take on it from experience I've had. There is a visa fee that the sponsor pays - for us, as a non-profit, it is $130 if we don't mind waiting for up to four months or $1130 with expedited processing - the fees are higher for profit-making enterprises. That's really insignificant for the most part. But, there is the process itself which involves a fair amount of time and paperwork - you need to be prepared for that and if you have no experience it will take significantly more of your time or you'll end up hiring an attorney to take care of the application. All this and the visa is not guaranteed to be issued; if it isn't, you'll likely end up paying more attorney fees if you want to appeal the decision. There is also a cap on the number of visa's that are issued annually, but I don't really know if that is ever reached. If all goes well, and the visa comes through, you also then need to keep work logs (not sure if you need to file them) and, from what I understand, if there are changes in employment status during the term of the visa - like assigning the person to another job, you have to get approval from the government.

Glenn

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu