Re: Re: Re: should you seperate indexes from tables in seperate

From: Nuno Pinto do Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:30:05 +1000

> why is it useful to seperate different i/o pattersn? such as
> multi-block reads and single block reads?

Because (assuming adaptive I/O subsystems like EMC's and such) each gets optimized into different priority scales and device queues. And of course if they are to the same device, they *may* interfere with each other.

Like I said: highly dependent on your I/O hardware. Doesn't hurt to set it up so you can take advantage of any future expansion/upgrade. IOW, separate indexes and tables into individual tablespaces, not because of I/O performance considerations but because of the flexibility it gives you in adapting to future change.

The core of the OFA paper, really. But I'll let Cary speak for that: it's his baby.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au Received on Tue Jul 15 2003 - 16:30:05 CDT