Re: Oracle security question

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:45:26 -0400

Don,
 A "normal" shutdown will wait for all of the users to complete there work and shutdown when the users are off the system. A shutdown "immediate" wait for the current transactions to complete and not allow any more to start before shutting down. A shutdown "abort" does just that, I stops all transactions and shutdown the database. A shutdown "abort" is best followed by a startup restricted and then a shutdown immediate to clear up the database. If you check your alert log you will find that the database does a recovery to clean it's self up after a shutdown abort.
 When you do an non normal action such as a CTRL-D when shutting down Oracle might be cleaning it's self up or clearing the temp that takes time to accomplish. Take a look at the actions that are going on in the database with temp. Perhaps that is why the shutdown is taking time. A user could be performing a long transaction that has to complete or rollback before Oracle shuts down. There are many possibilities for the lengthy time to shut down.
"Select count(*) from DBA_EXTENTS where segment_type ='temporary';" will give you the number of extents that are being shrunk if temp is one of your problems. The number will decrease as SMON does it's work.  I would also edit the dbshut command to "shutdown immediate" rather than the plain "shutdown".
 Check the OS to see what processes are consuming the time. That can lead you to the time comsumption. Remember time is relative to the viewer.
Ron

>>> donyu_at_jhu.edu 07/15/03 09:29AM >>>

Ron,

I have urgent question. Because I want to shutdown my database, I login as
oracle and execute dbshut. But later I found that the process is very slow
so I realize that I should type shutdown immediate. Then, I use control-D to
stop shutdown command. And I re-execute "shutdown immediate". Now the shutdown command seems to take longer time to finish. Is there something
wrong or normal? Any comments are appreciated! Thanks!

Don

Ron Rogers wrote:

> Don,
> The users need acces to the data that is in the database or what
is
> the purpose of the database?
> I would change the privileges of the users to "CREATE SESSION" only
> and revoke all others. Then I would use "ROLES" that have select
> privileges on the tables that they need acces to. By creating roles
and
> granting the role to a user the user can select from the tables. If
> different groups need acces to different tables you can create
different
> roles and grant them as needed.
> Roles are an easy method of controlling acces to table data and if
> changes are needed then you change the role's privileges and all
users
> of the role are effected.
> Ron

> Hi,
>
> I have a security question about Oracle database. Recently I have
> taken
> full control an Oracle database in my department. Now I would like
> make sure that no other people except myself can update data in that
> database. Can somebody tell me what it is necessary steps to do
that?
> Any comments are highly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Don

> Author: Don Yu
> INET: donyu_at_jhu.edu

services