RE: should you seperate indexes from tables in seperate datafiles

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:26:43 -0400

Actually, there is a performance benefit, but is almost negligible. Performance benefit comes from the fact that indexes are usually read by using "db_file_sequential_read", which is, as I was told by 3 or 4 wise men without any gifts, a single block read. Having vast majority of I/O being short allows, at least in theory, the controller to better optimize the incoming I/O requests, thus achieving better service times. I must say that I haven't actually seen the benefits myself but my faith is rock solid and I'll continue to separate data from indexes. Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Phone:(203) 459-6855
Email:mgogala_at_oxhp.com

Author: Rachel Carmichael