Re: How to make SPFILE in sync with INIT.ORA ?

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:55:06 -0400

Absolutely! The idea of spfile as a uneditable file but maintained at the runtime and the pfile is a text file but not maintained is confusing and error prone - especially for junior DBAs who suddenly find that they changed something on the init.ora but the effect was not there after the startup. When gently remindd of the "wonderful" new feature called spfile - they smirk and use pfile=init.ora while starting up; suddenly you can't do an ALTER SYSTEM ... SCOPE=BOTH. What was the point behind the spfile then?

Oracle could have made the spfile a little more user-friendly by making them editable as well as maintainable by the software, just like listener.ora, as long as the syntax is properly followed. this way there was no need to have two different files - spfile and pfile

Arup Nanda