installed users

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:59:31 -0800

Okay, I have, as Mladen suggested, been running the following

begin
dbms_rtfm.database_concepts;
end;
/

and even the lesser_known one of dbms_websearch.metalink

to find out exactly which installed user is for what Oracle option.

I've started a project to review all users in all our databases and remove unused/unnecessary users or at the very least restrict the privileges they have to the minimal ones they need. In several of the databases there are both ORDSYS and CTXSYS. From what I've been able to find out by running the above procedures, ORDSYS is for Intermedia. I could have sworn CTXSYS was the Intermedia account. So... is there a manual I've missed that tells me exactly which of these two I have to have in my databases and why?

In addition, I know you have to install Spatial Option as part of an Oracle installation, even if you don't want to use it. Some of these databases also have the account MDSYS, some don't. All but one are 9iR2. We don't use Spatial. The two databases that have this account
(8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.2) both use Intermedia. Does that have something to
do with it? I don't want to remove an account I need, but I don't want to leave ones I don't need in the databases.

Let's not even begin to talk about the fact that just about EVERY user seems to have "unlimited tablespace" priv.

This is not going to be pretty, easy or clean. But I will have secure databases. Except of course, every app has a configuration file in which they hard-code the passwords. Sigh

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! http://sbc.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael