RE: RAC system Calls

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:50:56 -0700

Jumbo frames are the use of larger than normal MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) settings on gigabit Ethernet links. The traditional limit for Ethernet frames is 1500 bytes, which was fine for 10 and 100 megabit Ethernet links. With gigabit, however, since you lose a certain minimum amount of bandwidth to signaling overhead (preamble, postamble, header info, etc.) and that the Ethernet card has to do a certain minimum processing for each Ethernet frame it receives, a huge amount of CPU overhead can be spent on trying to fill a gigabit pipe. The other problem is that if the host(s) are sending/receiving data larger than 1500 bytes, the data packet has to be fragmented into multiple, smaller packets, which then have to be reassembled on the far side. Since this all has to be done on the host CPU rather than the Ethernet card, it increases both bus overhead and CPU time.

With jumbo frames, you use a >1500 byte MTU - the exact amount varies by implementation, but they're generally in the 9000-9200 byte range. That's a 6x improvement in the amount of data per ethernet frame, plus there's less reassembly. Unfortunately, Sun never really embraced it as a technology, so unless you're running one of a couple of third-party gigabit cards, I think you're probably out of luck.

The specific relevance to RAC, which I somehow managed to mention, is that data blocks being shuttled 'tween nodes (depending on the blocksize) can be placed into a smaller number of ethernet frames, reducing both latency and overhead. Ideally, each block will fit into one ethernet frame, but as always, YMMV.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).