RE: Multiple addreses in tns

From: Bob Metelsky <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:09:40 -0700

Thanks Rachael

Getting some more feedback on this
"

What this appears to be is a cluster configuration with a middle ware capability ( like Oracle FailSafe) to fail a database over from one node to its backup. This would be the reason each IP is configured with two ports.
"

That sounds reasonable.... Although my docs souw mulitple ADDRESS_LIST = eg for parrallel or cluster server.

However if I performd the simple test below, as is it- fails, if I place valid first, it connects. Which raised my concern of Oracle not going to
"the next address"

??

locdb =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = invalid)(PORT = 1521))
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = valid)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = locdb)
    )