Re: Redo Copy Latch contention ??

From: Gudmundur Bjarni Josepsson <gbj_at_index.is>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:03:36 -0700

Question : How can I determine if this redo copy latch is causing the performance issues , guess that is my main question before altering some hidden parameter in init.ora.
Do a 10046 trace and see if you have any waits on this latch. I'll run the risk of being sued for copyright infringement and say that you can't extrapolate detail from an aggregate and aggregates are what you get from the V$ views. Redo copy latch contention might not be a problem for 99% of your users but it might be a huge problem for the other 1% of your users. However, you have no way of figuring out which users are suffering from this by looking at V$ views. And you can't even tell if redo latch contention is a problem even if your ratio is screwed.

I'm willing to bet you my autographed Steve Adams' book that you will not fix your redo latch contention by tweaking an init.ora parameter (unless it's set _redo_latch_ratio=0).

Gudmundur

Author: Gudmundur Bjarni Josepsson
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 02 2003 - 16:03:36 CDT