RE: Filesystem for Linux production database server?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:59:12 -0700

Reiserfs' biggest strength is in its ability to deal with directories with huge numbers of files in a very speedy fashion. Obviously, for oracle this is less relevant.

As far as the max-readahead option, I don't understand the specific relevance to fibre-attached storage. I would imagine, though admittedly I no longer have large storage arrays to play with, that setting readahead to be higher could damage performance against arrays with "intelligent" caching algorithms. Having the OS handle read-ahead rather than the array will likely fool the array into thinking that the i/o patterns are more sequential than they are. This will cause them to pre-allocate cache regions and pre-fetch more tracks off disk, which could adversely impact performance.

Totally separate from that, Redhat strongly advises _against_ tuning that parameter.

I happen to be doing I/O testing right now anyway, so maybe I'll gen up some workloads on different filesystems and go nuts.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

<snip>

HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).