RE: Oracle DBA 9i Books ever needed.

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:31:47 -0700

Rajuveera

   Are you seeking a book on DBA (administration) or performance tuning or real time database design? The more specific the question, the more likely the answer will match your needs. If you have some books, don't be shy about mentioning them so you don't just get recommendations that include books you already have. Since most of us collect books, if you say what you need that isn't included in your existing books, we can recommend books that cover different material.

   For performance tuning, a great book to start with is: Oracle 101 Performance Tuning by Jaga Krishna Vaidyanatha, Kirtikumar Deshpande, and John Kostelac.

   I have also been impressed with:
The Art and Science of Oracle Performance Tuning by Christopher Lawson. This is very new, just published.
Both of these books emphasize the fact that successful performance tuning begins with a correct philosophy. With a mistaken philosophy you can spend a lot of time and may even think you are being successful.

   There are two aspects to performance tuning, tuning the system and tuning your SQL. Which is more important will vary by your situation and as a competent DBA you need to understand both. For example, some packaged applications do not allow you to tune the SQL at all. But often tuning SQL statements can yield great gains in performance.

   As to the other topics you mention, perhaps it would be best if you reply with more specifics as to your situation.

   Sitting here in the U.S., it is rather difficult for me to tell what books are available to you in Hyderabad. Can you buy books from www.amazon.com?

   Getting a book that applies to both 8i and 9i is easy, in my experience. When a new Oracle version arrives, publishers often brush up an existing book with some new information so they can place the new version number on the book. It takes awhile for authors to absorb the impact that the changes can have on the daily work of a DBA and produce a book that incorporates these changes. I'm just trying to accurately represent the situation, not being critical. Fortunately when Oracle creates a new version, 99% of the features already there still work. Just familiarize yourself with the main feature differences between versions and you'll be fine with any book.

   I will be on vacation for several days, so if you are sleeping when this reply is posted, I will be unable to reply. However, there are others on this list that can provide far more competent assistance than I, even including some book authors.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 3:40 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dear Friends,

I am willing to buy Oracle DBA 9i books. ,I need your suggestion on this.

I got information friends from this list that the book ("Practical Oracle 8i - Jonathan Lewis".) is practically good. Even I am also looking for the same kind of book, But I want it for both 8i and 9i. It should be more practical oriented , performance tuning and real time database design and problems. The book should be more practical oriented .

What abt performance tuning 101 techniques , Oracle 9i DBA handbook. What are the best books for Oracle DBA (Intermediate level ) available in INDIA , HYDERABAD. Any URL / best sites also will be helpful. Thanks
Rajuveera

Author: Veeraraju_Mareddi
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 01 2003 - 10:31:47 CDT