Re: elapsed_time in 9i v$sqlarea

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:19:22 -0800

V$SQL" Reference Note

     *

       This view lists statistics on shared SQL area without the GROUP BY clause and contains one row for each child of the original SQL text entered.

       Column  	Datatype  	Description
       SQL_TEXT

       VARCHAR2(1000)

       The first thousand characters of the SQL text for the current cursor
       SHARABLE_MEM

       NUMBER

       Amount of shared memory, in bytes, used by this child cursor
       PERSISTENT_MEM

       NUMBER

       Fixed amount of memory, in bytes, used for the lifetime of this child
cursor
       RUNTIME_MEM

       NUMBER

       Fixed amount of memory required during the execution of this child
cursor
       SORTS

       NUMBER

       The number of sorts that was done for this child cursor
       LOADED_VERSIONS

       NUMBER

       1 if context heap is loaded, 0 otherwise
       OPEN_VERSIONS

       NUMBER

       1 if the child cursor is locked, 0 otherwise
       USERS_OPENING

       NUMBER

       The number of users executing the statement
       EXECUTIONS

       NUMBER

       The number of executions that took place on this object since it was
brought into the library cache
       USERS_EXECUTING

       NUMBER

       The number of users executing the statement
       LOADS

       NUMBER

       The number of times the object was loaded or reloaded
       FIRST_LOAD_TIME

       VARCHAR2(19)

       The time stamp of the parent creation time
       INVALIDATIONS

       NUMBER

       The number of times this child cursor has been invalidated
       PARSE_CALLS

       NUMBER

       The number of parse calls for this child cursor
       DISK_READS

       NUMBER

       The number of disk reads for this child cursor
       BUFFER_GETS

       NUMBER

       The number of buffer gets for this child cursor
       ROWS_PROCESSED

       NUMBER

       The total number of rows the parsed SQL statement returns
       COMMAND_TYPE

       NUMBER

       The Oracle command type definition
       OPTIMIZER_MODE

       VARCHAR2(10)

       Mode under which the SQL statement is executed
       OPTIMIZER_COST

       NUMBER

       The cost of this query given by the optimizer
       PARSING_USER_ID

       NUMBER

       The user ID of the user who originally built this child cursor
       PARSING_SCHEMA_ID

       NUMBER

       The schema ID that was used to originally build this child cursor
       KEPT_VERSIONS

       NUMBER

       Indicates whether this child cursor has been marked to be kept pinned
in cache using the DBMS_SHARED_POOL package
       ADDRESS

       RAW(4)

       The address of the handle to the parent for this cursor
       TYPE_CHK_HEAP

       RAW(4)

       The descriptor of the type check heap for this child cursor
       HASH_VALUE

       NUMBER

       The hash value of the parent statement in the library cache
       PLAN_HASH_VALUE

       NUMBER

       A numerical representation of the SQL plan for this cursor. Comparing
one PLAN_HASH_VALUE to another easily identifies whether or not two plans are the same (rather than comparing the two plans line by line).

       CHILD_NUMBER        NUMBER

       The number of this child cursor
       MODULE

       VARCHAR2(64)

       Contains the name of the module that was executing at the time that the
SQL statement was first parsed as set by calling DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO. SET_MODULE
       MODULE_HASH        NUMBER
       The hash value of the module that is named in the MODULE column
       ACTION

       VARCHAR2(64)

       Contains the name of the action that was executing at the time that the
SQL statement was first parsed as set by calling DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO. SET_ACTION
       ACTION_HASH        NUMBER
       The hash value of the action that is named in the ACTION column
       SERIALIZABLE_ABORTS

       NUMBER

       The number of times the transaction fails to serialize, producing ORA-
08177 errors, per cursor
       OUTLINE_CATEGORY

       VARCHAR2(64)

       If an outline was applied during construction of the cursor, this
column displays the category of that outline. Otherwise the column is left blank.

       CPU_TIME        NUMBER        CPU time (in microseconds) used by this cursor for parsing/executing/ fetching

       ELAPSED_TIME        NUMBER        Elapsed time (in microseconds) used by this cursor for parsing/ executing/fetching

       OUTLINE_SID        NUMBER

       Outline session identifier
       CHILD_ADDRESS

       RAW(4)

       Address of the child cursor
       SQLTYPE

       NUMBER

       Denotes the version of the SQL language used for this statement
       REMOTE

       VARCHAR2(1)

       (Y/N) Identifies whether the cursor is remote mapped
       OBJECT_STATUS

       VARCHAR2(19)

       Status of the cursor (VALID/INVALID)
       LITERAL_HASH_VALUE

       NUMBER

       The hash value of the literals which are replaced with system generated
bind variables and are to be matched, when CURSOR_SHARING is used. This is not the hash value for the SQL statement. If CURSOR_SHARING is not used, the value is 0.

       LAST_LOAD_TIME        VARCHAR2(19)          On 2003.08.01 00:44, Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com wrote:

> What's elapsed_time in v$sqlarea? I believe this was introduced in Oracle
> 9i. What is the unit for it? Strangely, the Oracle 9i "Server Reference"
> manual seems to have missed this altogether.
>
> I executed a query, the execution time of which was approximately 9
> seconds. But when I look up v$sqlarea, the elapsed time is shown as 820802.
>
> Thanks
> Raj

> INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com

Mladen Gogala