RE: What are the restrictions in naming an Oracle SID/Database?

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:17:52 -0700

Actually folks, we've promogulated this idea that a SID and a database name have to be the same. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In a recent attempt to make a new copy of our PeopleSoft database from a BCV copy I found that you can have a different name for the database from the SID. And wouldn't you believe it, the 9i DBCA supports that idea?? Therefore you could have a SID on empprod and a name of emp_prod with no trouble. Actually I found a good reason to go back to my old methods of using numbers as SIDs. Why, the JDBC driver. SIDs should be NON case sensitive as they once were in SQL*Net V1.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Mandal, Ashoke
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Senthil Kumar D
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: Mandal, Ashoke
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 15:17:52 CDT