RE: oraInst.loc question

From: Rich Holland <holland_at_guidancetech.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:20:56 -0700

Thanks
for the response April.  I ended up just hacking Opatch to auto-configure the oraInst.loc files based on which instance of Opatch is being called.  Suboptimal still, but better than having to (remember to) manually move 'em myself.  I'd forget to tie my shoes in the morning if I didn't trip over the laces.  :-)
--Rich
Holland        (913)
645-1950        SAP Technical
Consultantprint
unpack("u","92G5S\=\"!A;F]T:&5R(\'!E<FP\@:&%C:V5R\"[EMAIL PROTECTED]");

<BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of April WellsSent:   Wednesday, June 04, 2003 2:23 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: oraInst.loc question   We have one oraInst.loc file for each individual set of   binaries (two on production, three in development/test) and every time we   patch/upgrade/install we rename the oraInst.loc file to whatever we are   working on.
  Not an optimal solution, but the only one I really have found   so far.
  April Wells Oracle DBA/Oracle Apps
  DBA Corporate Systems Amarillo
  Texas
  You will recognize your own path when you come upon it,   because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever   need.
  ~ Jerry Gillies ~
  -----Original Message----- From: Rich   Holland [<A
  href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]   Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 1:01 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: oraInst.loc question
  I have two Oracle installations on the same host.    Between installs I updated /etc/oraInst.loc and   /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc accordingly so that I have   two inventory directoies, one per installation.   My question is that /etc/oratab has a facility for   multiple installations via
  '<SID>:<$ORACLE_HOME path>:N' entries, but the <FONT   size=2>oraInst.loc appears to be for a single installation.   Now in order to apply patches and such, I have to   modify /etc/oraInst.loc every time (it appears Opatch   is ignoring the /var/opt/oracle version).   Has anyone found an easy way to use multiple oraInst.loc files   or to use a single oraInst.loc file for multiple   inventories?  I'm strongly considering hiding   opatch and replacing it with a wrapper script that <FONT   size=2>rewrites the oraInst.loc files prior to calling the 'real'   opatch executable, but thought I'd see if there's an   easier way first.  :-)
  Thanks! Rich Holland <FONT
  size=2>SAP Technical Consultant Guidance Technologies,   Inc.

      The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 14:20:56 CDT