Re: Performance

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:56:17 -0700

Ramon,

    This is not a strange case at all; I find quite customary to see dazzling fast queries in a development environment crawl pathetically in production.

    My Spanish being reduced to some vague remnants of Latin (and just enough to understand the promotion of Mexican holiday resorts) I must confess to some difficulty in understanding your code. Anyway, CBO seems to be the culprit, isn't it? What is the main behavioural difference between CBO and RBO? Primarily, CBO doesn't shy as much of full table scans, and disdain indices much more often, jumping for the (usually quite efficient) hash join instead. When stats slow down a query, it usually means that nested loops were efficient, and in that case hash joins are not. To put the CBO back on tracks, /*+ FIRST_ROWS */ is usually enough. If it isn't, list the tables in the FROM clause in the order you know to be suitable (the table for which you feed the most selective values in the query first) and add ORDERED to the hint to ram the message home.

     I have found this to be efficient in most cases.

HTH,  Stephane Faroult

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]