process in oracle

From: AK <oramagic_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:41:31 -0700

Hi Guys,
I am in process of designing a event handler for one of the app over here . So some where in app code it will have one line code with event_code and some other param. Now in order to keep users unaffected ( due to processing of event) that event is put in queue (AQ) . Some other process ( event_handler ) will look for items in queue and process then accordingly .
Since event processing is long logic and not to be serialized with triggering code , some other process should be better ( my thought).

Now , I dont want to have any external process like Java or C to block on this queue and handle the event  In stead looking for some way in oracel itself .

What are different options available in oracle to do this ?
One way I though is to have a job that will run once and will keep waiting on queue ..but can it pose some problem with database maintainance .. like shutdown ..startup ... I will have to kill that job process each time I want to shutdown the db and start again when it comes up. Are there any alternatives ??

TIA

-ak