Re: Perl for Oracle DBAs - dbup.pl

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:33:45 -0700

Dwayne,

Offhand, I would say that the problem is due to the pager attribute being empty in the %addresses hash.

Try putting a value in it.

Also, what is line 597 in dbup.pl? Yours is likely a few lines different than mine.

Please show it in context. ie. with surrounding lines as well.

Jared

Dwayne Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 06/26/2003 04:49 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Perl for Oracle DBAs - dbup.pl

Hi,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I have been wrestling with this for a couple days now and I regreewt having to toss in the towel but I need help.

I am trying to setup dbup.pl from the Perl for Oracle DBAs book (highly recommended, I must say). As long as the databases are running, everything looks good (the log files show everything is ok). I get an error from the script whenever I take a database down as opposed to an email or pager.

Here is the section of the file that seems to be causing my woes (if necessary, I could send the rest):

%addresses = (

         'dbamgr' => { pager => '',
                       emailWork => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
                       emailHome => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' },

         'opsmgr' => { pager => '',
                       emailWork => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
                       emailHome => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' },

         'corpdba' => { pager => '',
                      emailWork => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
                      emailHome => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' },
);

[EMAIL PROTECTED] = ('opsmgr','dbamgr');

%onCallList = ( 'default' => 'corpdba' );

Here is the error:

$ Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /usr/bin/dbup.pl line 597 (#1)
(W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
defined. It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake. To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

To help you figure out what was undefined, perl tells you what operation you used the undefined value in. Note, however, that perl optimizes your program and the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily appear literally in your program. For example, "that $foo" is usually optimized into "that " . $foo, and the warning will refer to the concatenation (.) operator, even though there is no . in your program.

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/dbup.pl

         line 311 (#1)
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /usr/bin/dbup.pl line 317
(#1)

Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /usr/bin/dbup.pl line 319
(#1)

Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /usr/bin/dbup.pl line 320
(#1)

Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/bin/dbup.pl line 525 (#1)
No recipient!Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/bin/dbup.pl line 339 (#1)
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/dbup.pl

         line 363 (#1)
No recipient!Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/dbup.pl

         line 388 (#1)

--
Dwayne Cox
Corporate Database Administrator