RE: redo log maintenance

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:04:33 -0700

Lets
just say that the docs are erroring on the safe side.  The reason is that if you try to do any of these tasks with the database open you could be affecting (negatively) an active log file.  While I agree with both of you that you can make these mods while the DB is open doing so while the DB is quite is the best time.

Dick GouletSenior Oracle DBAOracle Certified 8i DBA

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Gogala, Mladen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 5:25 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE: redo log maintenance
Doco
is plain wrong. I've been adding, dropping and switching logfiles ever since the version 6 and
I have
never needed to shut down the database for it.
Mladen Gogala <FONT face=Arial
size=2>Oracle DBA Phone:(203) 459-6855
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]Sent: Thursday, June 26,
  2003 5:00 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: redo log maintenance
  I'm reading through the 9.2 admin guide (yawn) and   it says that the database must be mounted but not open to add, drop or rename   redo logs.  I have done this many times with the database up and running,   with no problems.  Why would it say this in the doco, or is the doco just   plain wrong (again)?  It doesn't let you do anything to redo logs that   aren't archived or are currently being used, what's the harm?   I don't get all the emails from the list - in fact   I get none most of the time.  So please be sure to include my personal   email address when responding.
  Thanks
  Lisa Koivu <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>Oracle Database Monkey Fairfield   Resorts, Inc.
  Orlando Office: 407-248-4277 <FONT

  face=Tahoma size=2>Ft. Lauderdale Office: 954-935-4117  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>Fax:    954-935-3639 <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>Cell:    954-683-4459
  "The sender
  believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of any virus, worm,   Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and its   attachments could have been infected during transmission.  By reading the   message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility   for taking proactive and remedial action about viruses and other defects. The   sender's business entity is not liable for any loss or damage arising in any   way from this message or its attachments."-- Please see   the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Koivu, Lisa INET:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
  http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting
  To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message
  BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list   you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other   information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 26 2003 - 16:04:33 CDT